Voltage: 15 Vac
Temperature Range: -25°C~ +55°C
Outdoor Use: Weatherproof
The System is a device intended to disperse groups of young people who are acting in an anti-social manner, causing or likely to cause alarm harassment and distress to other members of the public in the vicinity as they go about their lawful everyday business.
Considerations prior to installation
1. The system can be used internally or externally (in its current configuration) and the volume can be adjusted as required. When installing, ensure that consideration is given to neighbors as there is a risk of annoyance to innocent parties.
2. The device should ideally be used in areas where the Police or Local Authorities have already identified a history of anti-social behavior.
3. Deployment must only take place at premises with the written consent of the owner or a nominated representative entitled to give such consent.
4. Consultation should also take place with other persons or premises in the vicinity that are likely to be affected either personally or by way of trade.
5. To avoid damage or theft, the device should only be fitted well out of reach with a mesh or other protective grill covering it.
6. The device should only be used at times when groups of youths habitually gather together and are actively causing a nuisance.
7. An assessment should be carried out to check who else could be affected. For example, are there bus stops or seating areas where persons may lawfully wait, or premises intended for use by young people nearby?
8. The device should only be installed after all other reasonable methods to move youths have been tried.
9. It should be noted that the device might not always resolve the problem and installation of the device should always be
accompanied by a subsequent monitoring and evaluation.
Functions list – Selectable
1, High frequency – affects teens and to a lesser extent, people up to the age of around 25
2, Low frequency – Audible to people of any age
3, Audible beep – A beep that is audible to everyone once per minute to warn people that the unit is running
4, Volume – 4 selectable volume levels, 94 dB, 96 dB, 100 dB & 1.4 dB
Important considerations before deployment
1, The sound from the device is HIGHLY targeted. This means that the sound goes where it is pointed. The sound has a disperse angle of 60 degrees from the front of the unit. This means that there must be a CLEAR line of sight between the Mosquito and the area to be targeted.
2, The sound from the Mosquito does NOT penetrate windows, doors walls, fences or even dense shrubbery.
3, The device should be used ONLY when a problem is experienced and at no other time.
Wiring, triggers and settings
Most people purchase a 15v AC power supply with their device. It is either a 15v AC or 24v DC power supply rated at 800mA. Once you are ready to connect the power supply to the device, locate the power input terminals (top left of above image). There is no polarity issue to worry about, so it does not matter which wire goes in which side. Just ensure you tighten the connections fully.
DIP Switch #1
This is ONLY used when a PIR (movement sensor) or Remote Control is being used to activate the device. If you are NOT using a PIR or Remote to trigger the Mosquito, this switch MUST be in the "OFF" position.
If you are using a PIR to trigger the device, function chip #2 MUST be fitted. Setting this DIP switch to the 'ON' setting will allow the Mosquito to run for 5 minutes each time the PIR detects movement. If this DIP switch is set to 'OFF' the device will run for 1 minute each time the PIR detects movement.
If you are using a Remote Control PRO., function chip #3 MUST be fitted, then this switch MUST be set to the 'ON' position (see further details below).
DIP Switch #2
If this DIP switch is set to 'ON' the device will operate in 'Low frequency' mode which is audible to people of all ages. If this switch is set to 'OFF' it will operate in 'High frequency' mode audible to younger people only.
DIP Switch #3
If this DIP switch is set to 'ON' there will be an audible beep that everyone can hear once every minute that the device is running. If the switch is set to 'OFF' there will be NO audible beep.
DIP Switch #4 & 5
To set the volume you require, follow the configurations for switches 4 & 5 below.
94 dB – Switch #4 'OFF' & switch #5 'OFF'
96 dB – Switch #4 'OFF' & switch #5 'ON'
100 dB – Switch #4 'ON' & switch #5 'OFF'
104 dB – Switch #4 'ON' & switch #5 'ON'
Trigger connection. ( With function chip #3 fitted)
If you wish to use a Pro. Remote control to trigger the activation / deactivation of the device, the remote must be connected to the 'Trigger input' block located in the top right corner of the first image above.
Connect the switching sires from the Pro. Remote to the 'TRG -' & 'TRG +' terminals. You MUST then set DIP switch #1 to the 'ON' position.
Connect the power wires from the remote Pro to the '12v +' & '12v -' terminals located on the left side of the 'Trigger block'.
Trigger connection. ( With function chip #2 fitted)
If you wish to use a PIR to trigger the activation / deactivation of the device, the PIR must be connected to the 'Trigger input' block located in the top right corner of the first image above.
Connect the switching wires from the PIR to the 'TRG – ' & 'TRG +' terminals.
Connect the power wires from the PIR to the '12v +' & '12v -' terminals located on the left side of the 'Trigger block'.
The length of time the device runs for each time movement is detected is set by changing the position on DIP switch #1. See above for details.
The device housing has a louvered front (see below). It is VERY important to note when installing the device that the louvers project the sound down at a 45 degree angle. This means that if you mount the Mosquito directly on to a wall, the sound will project down at 45 degrees.
If the area to be targeted is further away than this 45 degree angle will cover, you MUST use the mounting bracket (supplied) and either angle the unit upwards (to increase the range) or downwards (to reduce the range).
Example of sound projection when mounted flush to a vertical surface.
Speed of effect
The device has been known to work within 30 seconds of being activated, however, sometimes it can take a week or two of regular use for the teens to stop causing the problems and/ or hanging around at the location.
The speed at which the device will have the desired effect will depend on several factors...
1, Volume setting
2, Frequency setting
3, Distance to target area
4, Ambient noise levels
The quieter the location and the closer to the target area you can install the unit, the faster you will see results.